Sunday, March 25, 2007

I’m not surprised but amazed…

I meet you Bob just a couple of short years ago at a Legends Car Club meeting when joining the club. As I became acquainted with all the new faces, there was one guy that stood out to me anyway as very approachable, great smile, genuine, and fun to boot… not saying anything bad about the others, but you had that little something extra…

As I got to know you a little better in the weeks that followed, it was clear why… You had passion… not just for one thing, but for everything in your multi-dimensional interests… winter sports, cars, photography, guns, and dare I say Potato launchers!

The event that I felt I was able to get to know you better was our first road rally... that was so fun, clearly you and Nancy spent countless hours organizing and perfecting this event that was enjoyed by everyone… you may remember that I brought along my brother… first time in 20 years we spent a day doing something together away from our families and we had a blast! I thank you for providing that opportunity.

The following year being drafted by Dave Dunn to be on the events committee I found myself designing the route for the next road rally… It was stressful to say the least… would they like it or not… I’ve only known so many of these people for just a year… would it be a bust? Dave, Jenny, and I drove it… made some slight revisions, and off to the races… I can’t tell you how much it meant to me to hear those stories of you, Ken, and the others tearing up the road having a blast… I was genuinely touched when you presented to me an “Extra Mile” badge for that event… coming from you that meant a lot to me.

So I get the email, saddened to hear you’re in a fight with this damn cancer again and it’s taking a toll… the email encouraging me to post something about you that may cheer you up a bit, perhaps reflect on some events… My first thoughts were me? I’m no wordsmith and I can barely communicate vocally with any clarity!

I finally get the courage to “say something” and log onto the website setup by your friends at the bike shop thinking maybe I can up with something to say… and upon reading every single post, one thing become so very clear to me… You’ve touched so many people in so many different ways and such a wide array of interests that I just kept reading the posts again and again being absorbed by the outpouring of love and respect from everyone.

I’m not surprised but amazed how one person could have such an impact on so many people. Then it dawned on me that here… once again… even when I’m attempting to share an experience... it was I who was being enriched by our paths crossing. The experience of reading everything that was being said made me take some time to reflect.

While many people peruse all the trapping of the things that often define success, wealth and prosperity… your riches and success are beyond monetary values… You’ve impacted people’s lives in so many ways on a personal level that it can’t be measured or even described by someone like me to any level that approaches par to the impact of you being you… has with everyone you touch

I for one an very honored and blessed to have been standing in the right place at the right time to have our paths cross …

Thank you!

With much love, respect, and prayers to you and Nancy…

Al Thomas

No comments: